Saturday, July 16, 2005

Dar al Islam: Transition

During the closing banquet, a group of musicians came to Dar al Islam to play some Turkish music and set the mood for the closing of our Teachers' Institute. One individual turned to me and noted that a performer looked to be in their own world. I felt like I was in my own world, a world that was my future. The music was entertaining at first but soon became symbolic of a new rhythm of life that would face me. The people kneeled and rocked in circles. Meditation and smiles took hold upon the audience and performers. The atmosphere after half an hour feels foreign. Mind you that none of this is negative, or mindless. It just doesn't fit into my frame of reference yet.

I took this evening to think of the next step in my journey. The intellectual and vicarious introduction to Islam and the life of Muslims was over. My life in Pakistan was soon to begin.

No comments: