Beside Pizza Hut on Saturday, I offered to take a photo for two Pakistanis visiting from the States after four years in Maryland. They asked me what I missed and I gave them a very complicated answer. So many things I can find here - but there's always something that can't be replaced.
I told them that I missed my friends and family. It's the change in support networks (my typical indifference towards reaching out) and the cut-off of easy communication. Saad Gul invited me to his house during his visit to Islamabad, and his family graciously allowed me to call home via VoIP. That's the only real communication I've had, though Pakistan, especially Islamabad, has the resources.

Saad Gul and father Brigadier General Gul (retired)
While I did choose to take the journey alone, there will always be people I miss.
***Update***
A mobile phone in Pakistan and DSL internet at home are all in the works.
2 comments:
Well when the real homesickness starts kicking in, just to let you know that you have somebody to talk to who has been in your shoes. Hang in there! I'm with you all the way.
Okay, I know some great people. But which of these good people leaves an anonymous message that "you have somebody to talk to"?
Post a Comment