Sunday, October 23, 2005

Did I choose that?

Today a teacher hosted a carpet party. That's a Tupperware party with carpets of Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iran, Turkimenistan, etc.




The carpets were laid flat and stacked two feet high before being folded so that another stack could begin. [I've found the carpet sellers all too willing to unroll and reroll carpets to find the one that meets your taste]. To coordinate who wants what, a system of throwing name cards on the carpets you want to see in more detail was implemented. Thus, you don't miss your carpet in the masses as the viewing of more carpets continues.

Another insight into carpet shopping is pick as many carpets and take them home. No one pays on the spot unless their determination is there. Take it home and try the carpets out for a few days, weeks, or months. The sellers lull you into a sense of "Money is no problem," surely in the hope that you'll take and eventually keep more. It is apparently no problem to return them used to reputable sellers.

I listened to an honest spiel of carpet origins and designs, fibers and dyes used, ages, quality, and prices. The carpets I liked tended to have numerous bright colors and simple designs I cannot capture in words. The prices for these carpets were $300-500 - but the total range was $15-3,000, quoted in USD. I almost walked away with a salt bag or handbag for $20 - practicality in items rather than gifts for friends and investments for my grandkids, as most of the other shoppers were intending, drove my decision process. I'll visit the shop soon when I cash out some money.

----------------------------------

Another topic comes to mind with this title, "Did I choose that?" Did I choose to leave my friends and family when I came to Pakistan?

As I cope with issues of communication and miscommunication, I wonder if this thought crosses the minds of friends and family. I really don't think I gave it much thought before I left. I didn't think of my moving to the other side of the globe as offensive to the individuals from which I departed.

I knew communication would be challenging. I knew the lack of clear communication would force me to reach out of my comfort zone. While independence is an American norm, it is not so highly cherished overseas (judging from Ghana and Pakistan in my own perspective). I realize progressively that my life opens to new attachments and growth as I challenge this comfort zone of friends and family "left behind."

I did not choose to leave them behind. Rather, I hold them in my figurative heart - more accurately, it can be said that these individuals have shaped the person that I am and thus are always part of myself. Teachers, childhood friends, colleagues, eclectic neighbors, students, and the core base of family - where love grows without reason. I hope these individuals never interpret my journey in life as a moving away from those that have touched me, and reciprocally been touched by me.

No comments: