I struggled in Yemen with the perspective that a black veil (and full garment) was a positive representation of a culture that respects modesty. I am conveying what I learned as best I can articulate after some initial difficulties.
The women in the majority of Yemen seem to wear a full-length black garment with black veil (black gloves and socks seem to be optional). These temporary garments are worn when outside, which gives the dress a lot of public (especially international media) attention, but only reflects a fraction of each women's day. The rationale tends to go back to tradition.
Take some time to reflect on the following views of women, unfortunately they come as second-hand information. "This covering shows self-respect not oppression; I don't want men gawking at my body. I want a man to choose me as his wife for my personality and character, not how I look. [Try to hold your cynicism]. The more beautiful the woman, the more important it is that she cover herself from puberty forward. I would not feel comfortable leaving my home without covering."

My friend videotaped his wife dressing in the traditional Yemen fashion. The video was not physically disclosing because she wore a hijab previously and the angle was from behind. However, the process was very smooth and quick; I estimate 30 seconds for everything. I also got to see these traditional garments later and found them silky, light, and transparent when held directly in front of one's eyes (as a veil would be worn) but opaque from a distance, without light on the other side.
In fact, I imagine the veil would made a natural pair of sunglasses in this bright environment of reflective minerals. The veil typically includes an eye slit and two additional pieces of material that can be placed over the slit in progressively brighter (sun)light. On the flipside, it does make walking in the dark more difficult even without these additional layers.

View of picture with veil over camera. View at the same distance without the veil.
I left a group of Western women in Yemen with about 50 questions regarding their lives. I am interested in more than the act of covering, but in their self-concept, public role, achievements, aspirations, and adjustments that have come with their faith and culture. I hope to report the results in a update.
------------------------------------------------------
I never spoke with or saw the face of my friend's wife during my stay. An apartment wall or a closed door was always inbetween. I had met her previously at a institute where I also met her husband. After observing her reserved but gracious behavior, it did not seem unreasonable that at the end of my stay my friend told me that it was her choice not to see or converse with me during this time in Yemen.
---------------------
Extra link:
Scarves of Many Colors: Muslim Women and the Veil
No comments:
Post a Comment