A colleague stated at a Friday function that Pakistan is a place in which you can never get bored. I can't say I haven't been bored - but I agree that, if you take a few steps outside the daily routine, there is a lot to explore.
Part of this sentiment is being a expatriate in a country with a number of differences (or shall we say "unique qualities"). Have you seen a man driving an ox cart while talking on his cell phone? Have you found it difficult to distinguish a rich and poor man by their clothes alone? Have you lived in a nation where the official national language (ex. Urdu) is only spoken by 8% of the population?
Recently, I've kept busy with a number of pursuits. I travelled to Lahore for the first time during one weekend to listen to talks on sufism by and meet Shaikh Nuh Keller. I was invited to a play organized by the British Council called Bullah Bullah (in Urdu). I skipped out of Pakistan for a week to visit Thailand for a NESA teacher's conference. Since returning to Islamabad, I have organizing the lights for our school's play, Blue Planet, and I have attended another play (this time in English) called Your Only Marry Twice, which was at times crude but hilarious - and I'm glad to say the majority Pakistani audience ate it up! Last Sunday, I also attended my second carpet party; still no purchases. So, yes, there is much that is going on.
My standing issue with being in Pakistan is not a lack of things to do (most days), but rather a personal matter of my search for a lifelong mate. Currently, this would be my reason for departing in the future - but largely this is my own issue of not getting out there on the market. This is a better posting for families that will find plenty of support and quality family time.
Monday, April 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment