Friday, September 08, 2006

Hookah power

The hookah is a relatively popular symbol in Pakistan. It stands for family, friends, cordial relations, and relaxation - from my point of view. It is a device that follows the tradition of smoking plant leaves.

A number of websites can tell you much more about this tradition than I know. They explain the set-up, offer rewards programs, and deliver regular education.

All I really understand is that a bowl at the top holds flavored tobacco (called shisha or sheesha), which is wrapped in foil with hot coals on top. A flexible tube with mouthpiece draws the subsequent flavored smoke through water that filters out some impurities with your breathe intake. Hold the smoke in your lungs for the taste and release through nose or mouth - before you choke on it. Tonight, I "tasted" mixed fruit and mango tobacco.

It might seem strange to think of tasting smoke but in fact there is a strong link between taste and smell. You might of noticed foods tasting differently/bland when your nose is stopped up. If not, try this activity.

No comments: