The Mikado is a Gilbert and Sullivan musical play that is set in Japan. A tale of love, humor, and the complications of politics. The elementary, middle and high school students of ISOI pulled the play off with grace - and I laughed tremedously at their enthusiasm and enjoyment of acting. [I am also biased by helping out with lighting and teaching a number of these students/actors].
Islamabad has these opportunities for drama, even though other cities like Lahore get more attention for their culture. I have attended three other plays and missed another since August. The plays usually are not well known (to me at least): Freedom Bound, Some Like it Hot, James and the Giant Peach and Fantastic Mr. Fox. Other plays last year have been You Only Marry Twice, Dally in the Dark and Bullah. All of these are plays in English, except the last one about a Sufi poet. I even tried out for a play with the Rawalpindi Amateur Theatre Society (RATS) once.So, the show must go on. I'll be back for the Mikado tomorrow, and I'll be looking forward to the next play at the Islamabad Club, the NIC auditorium, or wherever courageous individuals take to the stage.
1 comment:
This is a great example of Web 2.0 in action, Scott.
Post a Comment