I am back in Islamabad after a summer break.
Islamabad had a rough period this summer. The capital made news with a stand-off at the Red Mosque (Lal Masjid), which of course has it's own Wikipedia article for your information at Lal Masjid Siege. Violence hemorrhaged during and immediately following this event - but it seems to have calmed down. A few more sandbag stations are located in the city with the same sleepy traffic officers.
Now, elections are coming up again in Pakistan with the possibility of more instability. Candidates and political parties may chose disruptive activities to embarass the ruling PML-Q party, led by President Musharraf. It is the opinion of some that the attacks in Pakistan's history are more about creating instability rather than aiming at particular victims.
I am still a explorer of this country, though I'm more cautious of potential incidents in my environment. The warnings from the U.S. Regional Security Officer (who has been here a week but seems to have more sense than Pakistan's two previous one-year officers) are well taken, but I'm still going to walk the two clicks to get a paratha wrap for dinner. Mmm... Bye.
Resources for further reading:
Pakistan Elections 2007
Story of Pakistan - comprehensive political history of Pakistan
Saturday, August 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment