Tuesday, November 06, 2007

No news

No news is good news? - Fifth day of emergency rule
As a result of Pakistan's recent emergency rule, the government shutdown private TV news channels such as CNN and Al Jazeera. I haven't noticed the difference because I never had cable or a dish; it's always been 2-3 public channels for me (I'm more of a DVD watcher).
The local private TV news channels (along with everyone else) can be found on the internet what fortunately has never been cut off, to my knowledge, since emergency rule started on Saturday. The popular local TV news that you can access on-line are:
Live Geo News Video
Live Dawn News Video
The local printed English newspapers also have never been disrupted, to my knowledge. They can also be found on-line at: The International News, Daily Times, and Dawn.
I personally get most of my news from either BBC's South Asia or Metroblogging Islamabad . The former is regularly updated and informative but short and sweet. The latter is more specific to common residents of Islamabad, as it is written by residents. Otherwise, friends, US embassy security updates, and emergency call down lists keep me informed.
It's always suprisingly calm in Islamabad. I didn't notice any changes yesterday when Benazir Bhutto came to Islamabad. While many national decisions orginate in Islamabad, the town remains in the eye of the storm of Pakistan (and, I think, many expatriates are glad that Musharraf has a firm hold on police and military around Rawalpindi and Islamabad). We'll see what the future holds for us.

No comments: