On March 13th, 2005, the new teachers of ISOI began introducing themselves to each other. Here is my introduction and some general links about Pakistan:
Hello everybody,
Sally recruited me at the ISS fair in Boston to teach science at ISOI. And here's my story...
I currently teach at the only Arts and Science magnet school in Georgia. I have been teaching here for two years, and I've been involved with community service, student leadership, diversity training and wrestling. I love my school (my alma mater) but it's time to leap overseas and live the life of a true international teacher.
This will be my second major jaunt abroad. I serviced for two years in the Peace Corps Ghana as a science teacher. There I got involved with science club, field trips, numerous committees, youth conferences, and the production of recycled glass beads in my town of 10,000. My school had approx. 520 host country students from all over the nation and I taught them all during my time there.
I am originally from Atlanta. I've pretty much spent my life there, beyond going to the university in Nashville and my above jaunt abroad. I've taken short trips to other countries including Thailand, Vietnam, Burkina Faso, Mali, and parts of the Carribean and Western Europe.
I enter ISOI believing that living and working abroad is the best way to experience other countries. I look forward to the opportunities of and growth inherent to what I call "immersion travel." I have much to learn about Pakistan and this side of the world.
I look forward to the professional opportunities available abroad and to obtaining my Master's degree on-line through Michigan State (starting next summer). I look forward to meeting and greeting the local and international community of Islamabad; my social life definitely needs broadening.
My family's rationalization on my choice to teach in Pakistan is that I could get hurt in the U.S. just as I could here. They trust my good judgement and the sensitivity I developed in the Peace Corps (I was in Ghana and far from the confines of my local school for 9/11/01).
I enjoy backpacking, ultimate frisbee, service-learning, exploring, playing with my digital camera, and I even try my hand at cooking.
That's plenty of info from me for now. Please give a shout-out and introduce yourself, but, in any case, I'll see you soon.
Scott Christian
P.S. I've included some weblinks that you might find helpful.
International School of Islamabad
ISOI
NESA Blackboard
U.S. Department of State - ISOI
Islamabad
Rough Guide - Hot Spot Online
Twin Cities Online - ApnaSoft
Islamabad Photos – Worldisround
Islamabad – Capital Development Authority
Islamabad - itsPakistan.net
Islamabad - Aleph
Islamabad.net
Islamabad.com
Islamabad – expatriates.com
Beautiful downtown … Islamabad?! – EscapeArtist.com
Islamabad - Real Post Reports
Islamabad – VirtualTourist.com
Maps
Guide Maps of Islamabad
North Central Islamabad
Maps of Pakistan and its Major cities
Pakistan:
Pakistan Country Study – Library of Congress
Pakistan – Lonely Planet
Pakistan – Domestic:
Pakistan Post
Cell Phone Coverage Map of Pakistan
Mobilink
Ufone
Country Profile and Media Sources - BBC
Pakistan - Language:
Urdu Alphabet
Urdu Alphabet, Pronunciation, and Language
English-Urdu Dictionary
Learn to Read Urdu - Ukindia
Pakistan – Miscellaneous:
The Pak Ranks
Pakistan - U.S. Relations:
American Embassy Islamabad
Pakistan Embassy in Washington D.C., USA
U.S. Dollar to Pakistan Rupees Exchange Rate – Yahoo
Thursday, June 16, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment