Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Why Pakistan?

I chose Pakistan because ISOI had a chemistry/physics position available. I chose Pakistan because I felt very comfortable interviewing with their former superintendent, Sally Hadden. I chose Pakistan, yes, for the teacher package offered. I chose Pakistan to explore a region of the world which from the outside seems quite different from my own; yes, this is where exploring a new perspective comes into place.

People react to my new placement with restrained shock. I imagine that they wonder how a person could willingly choose to enter conflict. I say conflict because that is one of the media stereotypes of the country. Think Tora Bora and tribal areas, search for Osama, Kashmir, and Muslim bombings.

My reaction to my own choice of placement is a two-faced coin: excitement and nerves. I think it's a healthy reaction despite its dichotomy. I love the prospect of learning about this area and, in turn, learning about myself. I can break out of my comfort zone, which is a good habit for lifelong learning. I fear for my comfort and safety during these times of exploration. I think these emotions will keep me on guard for both opportunities and challenges that I will face in my new home.

No comments: