
Dar al Islam is a non-profit group aimed at bridging the Muslim and non-Muslim community in North America. They host a intensive two-week residential program, July 5-17, 2005, for teachers entitled Understanding and Teaching About Islam. I jumped at the opportunity to attend for three reasons. First, I want to understand and be able to reach out into my community (Pakistan is reportedly 97% Muslim). Second, I want to effectively communicate with my students (Pakistani students alone compose 30-40% of the International School of Islamabad (ISOI)). Finally, I want my staff at ISOI to also be ability to work freely by understanding the students, parents, and community - and they might need a resource or training.
I am ignorant of many things. I have not traveled to Pakistan yet, nor have I been told the direct needs for this type of understanding - but it is essential to me to build the type of positive environment in which I want to be. This teachers' institute is changing the way I view Islam and raising my level of knowledge.
The lecture program for the teachers' institute follows:
Wednesday, July 6, 2005
Teaching about Islam: The Challenges and the Opportunities
Islam and Muslims: Universality and Diversity
The Life of the Prophet Muhammad: The Makkan Period
The Life of the Prophet Muhammad: The Madani Period
Thursday, July 7, 2005
Islam
(Study Group #1) Qur’anic Readings
The Islamic View of Social Justice and Jihad
Friday, July 8, 2005
Iman and Ihsan
Islam in the Middle East and Central Asia
Saturday, July 9, 2005
(Curriculum Workshop) Art Projects You Can Use in the Classroom
Sunday, July 10, 2005
(Video) National Geographic: Inside Mecca
(Panel) Open Q&A session with all faculty
Monday, July 11, 2005
The Soul of a Woman
Fabulous and Familiar Fabrics and Artifacts of Exchange
(Study Group #2) Qur’anic Reading: Maryam, Queen of Sheba and Pharao’s Wife
Community and the Other from Within: Boundaries of Acceptance in Islam
Tuesday, July 12, 2005
The Relationship Between the Muslim World and the West
(Study Group #3) Qur’anic Reading: Adam and Eve – The Slipping and the Forgiveness
Islam in Spain
Pedagogy Part I: Teaching about Islam, Trends and Resources
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Religious Pluralism: The Qur’an and Ahleh Kitab
Islam in Africa
Thursday, July 14, 2005
East Meets West: Cultural Interactions Between European and Muslims
(Study Group #4) Hadith Study: Selections from al-Nawawi
Islam in South and Southeast Asia
Friday, July 15, 2005
Islam in America: An Historical Overview
(Panel) Final open Q&A session
Hermeneutic: Objectivity and the Understanding of Islam
Saturday, July 16, 2005
Pedagogy Part II: Teaching About Islam
No comments:
Post a Comment