Aslam and Hafeez deserve praise for their efforts; as do many others who have taken care of me in my life. I leave their official titles aside for today and thank them, and others, for each of the small things they do out of kindness for others. Simple things. They will be taking the weekend off and neither by request nor expectation did they filled my water filter tank and leave more boiled water on the stove to follow, they cooked an extra meal in addition to the leftovers from the week, they set a place setting for dinner even when I inform them unexpectedly that I must go out and eat after they are gone, and, more importantly, they greet me with genuine smiles. Why genuine, when in fact they are paid workers? Well, my belief is because together we do more than our typical jobs; we talk about each other and family, I learn Urdu sounds and they some English spelling, and (maybe this is too specious but) I think at this point in our relationship we still take the time to show respect for one another. Yes, roles and official titles keep us apart; there is a hierarchy that my household staff seems to like more than me [– seemingly because comfort comes with order and structure].
Well, I thank my household staff. I thank my family and friends. I thank many people for kind, simple efforts that have been much more than helpful, or required. These small acts show a genre of love or humanity so often overlooked.
I expect that the giver knows that even small gesture of kindness are appreciated. If not, I offer a much belated thank you to you.
Friday, August 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment