Sunday, August 14, 2005

Sing it Kenny. "On the road again..."

Yes, I am on the road again. The director of facilities at ISOI, Javed, was very kind with the whole “partially inelastic collision” incident. The school resolved the damage and I now sport a car (though not a sports car), rather than the beast I drove previously.

Saturday I took my first night drive. This was a great drive. Why?

Well, I was quite nervous driving anywhere alone at night, as I’m still learning the city. However, a teacher suggested that I check out the streetlights in celebration of Independence Day (today!) on Constitution Ave and along the Blue Area.

The lights were gorgeous. The cars were driving slowly to take in the beautiful displays, like some American suburban neighborhoods for Christmas. People were courteous and friendly for a change. [Let’s not describe the driving in Islamabad as chaotic, but rather as aggressive and free-spirited]. And, I had lines (you know the solid and dashed ones) to follow on the slow ride down the Blue Area. It was 1st or 2nd gear most of the way and had a lot of fun.

People came out to this part of town for the fireworks display at midnight. I am sure they also came in their shalwar kameez for recreation and food supplied by carts along the road. The police were visible and active from my point of view.



*** Update to "Partially Inelastic Collision" ***

Let it be known that I was at fault. I turned right on a green light and somehow had a blind spot due north. I turned saw my error too late and stopped, and Car 2 hit me almost straight on. It was apparent in his eyes that he had no alternative. The driver was irate but cooled down, and we were able to talk. He is a Pakistani from London studying at a medical university in Rawalpindi. Even though we were at a police checkpoint, the officers were waved off in an apparently regular attempt to avoid further complications. Thus, the above relief in finding some confidence on the crowded streets of celebration.

No comments: