Wednesday, September 07, 2005

...Essential components to service-learning

...continued from "About why I teach"...

Service-learning is a term that has been commonly batted around in the education-field for a couple decades. To me, there are three essential components.

Everyone is in agreement that this term describes academic learning and community service, but the emphasis and degree of integration of these two parts varies tremendously. Is it sitting in class and learning about humanitarian efforts or real applications of the curriculum in life? Is it taking a day off from class and using this time to serve the community?

In my mind, the components of service-learning are academic learning and community service - but we must add one last thing: reflection. [Think of reflection as the hyphen, "-", that holds the other two components together].

An effective service-learning program teaches students material that they can apply. An effective service-learning program involves meeting the needs of the community through the application of these skills and knowledge. An effective service-learning program takes the time to reflect upon how what we learn impacts the community we serve.

Can we put our book knowledge to good use? How are skills developed in school applied? What must be learned to meet the needs of the community better?

Learn and Serve. These should not be singular, isolated events in the lives of students. They should be approached repeatedly and reflected upon. The reflections can be fuzzy or concrete; assessments can be by a discussion, journal writing, a research paper, or any another means.

The end goal is global citizenship, but I would be happy if teachers could just get kids applying and reflecting upon what they learn in class.

======My History in Service-Learning======

This idea of service-learning came to me before I learned of the fad of calling anything related to community service "service-learning" in schools. It came to me in a Learning and Memory course as I reflected upon the impact of tactile learning on memory and the importance of service in my own life. Put the two together and I have a personal mission of advocacy to fulfill in this profession.

At the university (1998-2000), I sat on the "Ad Hoc Task Force for Service-Learning at Vanderbilt." We were composed of students and faculty who created long-term goals for the promotion of this idea. In the short term, we discussed role of service-learning at Vanderbilt University. Brought Tom Erlich to campus to speak on "Service-Learning in the Research University.” Organized information session about service-learning for students and faculty. Submitted service-learning proposal to university administrators.

Since these university days, I feel that service-learning is a way of life that I express inside and outside of class. I look forward to doing more service-learning with my students in my Environmental Science, Chemistry, and Physics classes now that I've become more confident in my teaching. [My AP Chemistry students can do so also after their exams]. I currently advise the ACT community service club at ISOI and, of course, promote understanding through information outlets like through this blog, celebration of UN Day, etc. - outside of class.

No comments: