It's quite late in the coming, but I write about the Hurricane Katrina today.
[The devastation is quite evident from a quick search. However, my head is swimming to grasp the overall picture of what's happened. I think this is common, sadly, to human and natural disaster; just as we are about to adapt to the situation and comprehend the lesson we lose interest.]
Disaster hits the USA again. The government, nonprofit groups, individuals, and more come to the aid of residents and visitors to the Gulf Coast, in this case. People contend with the "How?" to overcome as strongly as with the "Why?" did it occur. In frustration, there is many emotions in this process.
I wonder if the people of my nation turn with cynicism in their heart to the world for help. I think cynicism is a minority opinion in my countrymen. [It's not one we teach] This might be a totally inappropriate post on cynicism, yet a strong memory of the Tsunami in Asia was over an individual questioning the reason to give. He questioned reciprocity. [He and I both lacked knowledge of current events to truly deal with this viewpoint].
As I look today into Katrina and Pakistan, I found a two-day old article in the Dawn reporting Pakistan's contribution to the USA in this disaster. This shouldn't be viewed as reciprocity (because that vantage point is cynical in itself) but as what it is, aid to the USA.
I'm not sure if this post has a point. I'd like to think that fallacy of the above viewpoint would lead us to seek more information, in this supposed Information Age. The more difficult issue is that we should take the time to understand the complexity of disasters, and humanity in general; what can we learn to be more proactive or even reactive in a postive direction?
Sunday, September 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment