I normally remain busy with a number of other duties of varying time commitments. These currently include ACT Advisor, UN Day subcomittee chairperson, intramural wrestling coach, and whatever else I get suckered into doing.
I lead an umbrella group for community service, Acting in the Community Together (ACT). Our school's mission statement states, "The International School of Islamabad ensures that each student achieves academic success, develops a lifelong love of learning and becomes a responsible global citizen through an American-based education." Ideally, I facilitate activities such as biweekly visits to St. Joseph's Hospice, fundraisers (ex. Tsunami Relief), blanket drives, donation of materials, teaching English to school workers, etc. From a practical view, I am new to ISOI and Pakistan yet I will still harness resources and link to organizations for community service school-wide. Progress in community service is tracked by the school's Measurability Committee in conjunction with ISOI's Strategic Plan.
I also head a subcommittee on getting agencies to participate in UN Day (which we celebrate September 28th). I have been asked by students to start a wrestling intramural team; and, since a student just asked me, it seems we are starting tomorrow. Oh yes, I'm also on the school's Measurability Committee mentioned above.
Do I ever leave school? Surprisingly, I spend less time at school than last year but it's still about 10 hours / day. [I record less grades now; I used to average two grades/day for four classes/day].
Outside of school, I relax at home, explore on the weekends, and I look forward to joining the activities of the Asian Study Group, which brings together locals and foreigners in diverse activities to learn more about this home of ours. I've been lax about physical sports like softball and frisbee, as well as attending the expat social parties - but they're available. My next trip will be to Swat.
No comments:
Post a Comment