Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Hostility towards Americans

This title sounds much more rough than the reality.

I just don't feel hostility towards Americans in Islamabad. People do not respond when I say I am American, but at the same time I don't broadcast my patriotism. People here do not rally in the streets with flags or effigies, but I imagine that the topic could come up during Friday prayers. I feel the people of Islamabad have enough experience with expatriates in this town of diplomats to separate the actions of governments (ex. the war on terrorism) from the actions of individuals (ex. teaching science in a high school or running a business).

I will be the first to admit my isolation from the working class. Talking and sharing experiences with my dhobi and cook do not put us on the same level, unfortunately. Learning some Urdu and wearing shalwar kameez help. Exploring in the community helps. Talking to my students, reading the newspaper, and participating in community activities also help. However, my immediate community is wealthy expats and locals, with occassional outreaches into the "real Pakistan."

Nonetheless, I feel safe walking around town. I feel safe among Muslims, whose faith promotes real peace and brotherhood. I worry more about being culturally insensitive (ex. eating publicly during Ramazan) to the people here rather than having any external source harming me. [If you are ever in trouble in a Muslim region, ask to be a guest. It sounds silly but there is a long tradition of kindness for guests and you should not be denied such status.]

I see kindness and respect for individuals from the United States of America who take the time to appreciate this area.

****Update****
Individuals interested in learning more about Pakistan should feel free to contact me by email or posting a comment. These questions help keep this blog fresh and accurate.

No comments: