Wednesday, September 28, 2005

And now for something completely different... the Stage



Lawrence McEvoy would get a kick out of this post.

Mr. McEvoy is a talented actor and one of my bright former students. He might not have been a star in my class but on stage he was something wonderful. He was selected for the Governor's Honors program in Drama while in high school, and, with wise direction, will surely go on to do great things.

He also despised me as a teacher. Why should he be at all interested now?

Today, I reached out of the old comfort zone and tried something new. I auditioned for Gustave and Hector (two thieves) in the play Thieves' Carnival by Jean Anouilh.

I was poor. I didn't really know what to expect at the audition and saw the play for the first time this evening. I didn't select a passage to read, and thus put myself upon the mercy of the cast directors. I read and embellished things I didn't understand. I improvised with amateur wit, and scurried out when I had finished my bit. [I would like to thank Parker Owen and Susan Fields for teaching me to pause for commas, and to give the audience respite from my yammering].

I respect drama and have enjoyed it from the other side [Neely Theater and the North Springs HS Theater]- but I've been in the audience for long enough. I'll get into theatre, and this will probably through the backdoor, and not the front. I'll join the voiceless crowd or sit behind the camera before my 15 minutes of fame; and that's okay, right?

I have found the opportunity to try something new and to see another perspective of life in Islamabad. "Hush, the curtain opens..." I wonder what wonders will come next?

No comments: