Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Why terrified?

My essay on "Hostility towards Americans" apparently had no effect on a group of individuals considering a visit to Pakistan for a family wedding. Why are we terrified of Pakistan?

I say "we" because I too carry my own frightening images of Pakistan. Images that keep me from exploring every corner with ultimate freedom. I have yet to attend a Friday (or any) prayer session in Pakistan; I imagine anti-American sentiment I have never heard hear. Find your own images of Pakistan.

Prior to coming to Pakistan, my heart sank when I read the U.S. State Department warnings which included historical events of violence. The events did not scare me; violence happens. [I entered teaching in the age of Columbine]. The terror comes from the unpredictable nature of violence; I can avoid patterns.

We all know of bad neighborhoods. We have our own images of violent individuals. Some of these characteristics are poverty, ignorance, addiction, and your pick of the ethnic/religious group. We avoid these place and individuals because we feel this will keep us safe. This is sad because we avoid discussion and exploration of the roots of violence, and we maintain "practical" stereotypes to keep us from harm.

What do we do when we do not have characteristics to "predict" violence? There are many grey areas to the newcomer in Pakistan. There are differences [read: barriers] in language, culture, religion, and socioeconomics that make such judgements difficult.

The result is that we want to avoid the whole situation. Avoid the bad areas, and avoid all individuals that may be associated with them. Why visit a nation like Pakistan, and possibly put yourself at risk?

---------------------------------------------------------
Consider not reading any further in this post. The following are my personal beliefs and will be addressing you from on top of my soapbox. Plus, it's late here so it may not make any sense.
---------------------------------------------------------


There are large gaps that separate groups of individuals. Technology gaps, wealth gaps, education gaps, religious divides, and language barriers. The entirety of humanity has been divided into tribes, like a metaphorical tower of Babel. Popular ideas like multiculturalism, though it has many benefits, has served to emphasize the differences in individuals more than it celebrates our similarities.

People feel less close to one another. There is distrust about others that are different, and subsequently there is ignorance about others because we are not taking the time to bridge these gaps with communication.

Do Americans (and others) care to bridge these gaps, to learn about Islam, to explore the needs of other people, and to search out the multifaceted ways in which we are connected to others?

I may simply be naive and idealistic, but I think my presence in Pakistan helps to bridge these gaps in understanding. Take me as white, American, Southern, Anglophone, educator, young, male, college graduate, rich, or any other category into which you want to divide me, but my intentions are to create my own worldview where the average Pakistani and I fall into the same allotment of humanity, instead of distant partners worlds apart.

I believe that it is worthwhile to step into a distant land if only to discover common humanity. Maybe my paranoia about safety will not leave me, at least not until I can rationalize the roots of past incidents. However, I recognize that I carry stereotypes of Pakistan that are not backed up by firsthand, or even secondhand, observations. I realize that I must reach out of my comfort zone of seclusion (be it the USA or the confines of my house) to challenge these perceptions of Pakistan.

I seek reason in my surroundings, but I choose not to live terrified of Pakistan without good reason.

1 comment:

Davey boy said...

I've been thinking lately about man's fear of 'strange man', and I surmise that the recorded incident of Babel was God's challenge to humankind. (It seems to me to be consistent with His intentional act of creation and every act since; Noah, Moses, Job, Jesus, etc.)

I question why WE choose to think and talk so much about mankind's dilemma, rather than simply acting. Like Jack Nicholson's line in 'As Good As It Gets' - "I'm drowning here and you're describing the temperature of the water."

Think of the ramifications of instantly confusing the language of a common people. Before Babel, I'll assume that mankind was a common people with a common language. The people found the challenge of "not understanding each other's language" too great to continue building the city and the tower, and so scattered themselves across the earth perhaps locating others they could understand or simply procreating a family/tribe/nation that could learn/share/use each one's altered language.

Mankind has since developed significant populations based solely/primarily upon the 6,912 languages (http://www.ethnologue.com/)

For the most part, it would appear mankind has forgotten about the task of building the tower of Babel; simply distracted by the multitude of issues that have emerged for each individual language-based population (#issues x 6,912).

But more importantly, it appears that we have either forgotten or choose not to recognize God's act, God's challenge to mankind. 5 But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. 6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other."

Although I really want to ask "why?", it's enough for me to know that God has a plan and I have been notified. So to the issues of mankind - if a man's drowing, then we have the ability to throw him a life raft*; unless of course we want him to drown, then we simply describe the temperature of the water. So it goes.

FOOTNOTE: * 1 John 4:18

18There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

(And might I add, "to love another" requires not a single word spoken or understood.)