Tuesday, December 06, 2005

My life in Islamabad

I enjoy my life in Islamabad.

I find new experiences in teaching, in relating to others, in local culture, in my life's quest of harmony in the world. It's also extremely draining - as any average individual feels when faced with new challenges.

School is still the majority of my life - consuming time, effort, and resources. It remains worthwhile endeavor and a professional field of growth. I strain to maintain balance in my life and teach four course (through five classes) with a number of other school duties (this list needs updating) moderately well. I've found a calling outside teaching in the arena of community service (i.e. measurement, promotion, communication), which has united our school with a common purpose since the 7.6 earthquake focused our attention.

Projects and ponderings on education do take away from the social arena, but that's largely from my passivity to reach out. There are opportunities for social hours at diplomatic clubs, gatherings all over town, and tourism in Pakistan. I need to explore this arena for my own good health (but I'm waiting for a swift kick in the derriere).

My physical health is good. Yeah, I've gotten sick but not relatively more than in the USA; less time feeling lethargic and a couple more bouts of diarrhea. I eat a bit too well with a cook (and a dhobi). I exercise a bit too little, but I maintain weekly practices with my wrestling team.

I guess the other noteable dimension of life is spirituality; it's also quite difficult for me to discuss. I appreciate the majority rule of Islam. I have been a cynic in the arena of religion for a number of years - but I find a maturing view of the relationships in the world as I get older (hmm... make that more experienced). I find a majority of colleagues/individuals searching for there purpose or happiness- and a few have found their own bliss, which I greatly respect, here.

I work through the adjustments to Pakistan/Islamabad/"my life here" slowly but thoroughly. Many are prone to call these 'adjustments' problems, but a perspective from a former Scoutmaster sticks with me. He said, "There are no problems, just opportunities for improvement." It's a positive slant on challenges, and it fires me up to determine what I can do to do things better. [Think expanding your Circle of Influence].

In summary, my shift to Islamabad has been a good thing, but a difficult adjustment.

No comments: