Defend Jyllands-Posten and republishing newspapers for freedom of speech. Tell yourself that offensive representations of the prophets or the divine is on the same moral ground as the average xenophobic cartoon.However, one must also view other offensive material as fair manifestations of freedom of speech. For example, the rap industry is then completely just in portraying their world view. Personal integrity which cries out to defend freedom of speech must also decry censorship of obscene lyrics. If we publish hate in our newspapers, then we justify this value in our lives.
Freedom of speech is important. However, it is not an excuse to say whatever we want.
I am disturbed by these Muhammad cartoons (that were suprisingly published back on September 30, 2005). While I defend freedom of speech as I do tolerance, I cannot show shock that poor, ignorant, mistreated individuals around the world protest such an action. They display weapons, fires, and hatred for the freedom of speech they don't have. They riot because they feel unheard and powerless; ignore the weak and uneducated and they will show brute force rather than intellectual finesse.

I am proud of Pakistan's people because they have largely responded to the Muhammad cartoon incident with tolerance. I think the following articles pale in comparison to the world.
- Musharraf in cartoon condemnation - Government does not stir up activism
- Pakistan's mild reaction to cartoons - Has Pakistan changed its ways?
As Kasper Aastrup Mortensen of Aalborg, Denmark says, "This whole thing has really gotten out of hand." I agree - but let's not hide behind freedom of speech - rather let's learn why people react as they do and seek to understand.
------------------------------------
Thoughts of other people:
Daryl Cagle is a professional cartoonist that provides his own perspective. [alternative link] He has links to the aforementioned newspaper and reports on the incident since October 13, 2005.
Wikipedia's site depicts the cartoons, but has closed its normal rights to edit this page. Warning: offensive material is found on this site [alternative timeline].
No comments:
Post a Comment