I've taken a pride in wherever I have lived - be they schools, cities, countries, etc. So, my natural initial reaction to BBC News's article, Pakistan 'is a top failed state' (as published by the US Foreign Policy magazine and the Fund for Peace), is above.Now granted, the list is relative and Pakistan is only the ninth TFS out of 146, but who sticks up their nose in the air and lists such a thing?

I can only hope that the attention of such press leads people to take an look at Pakistan, good and bad. But, who but a dedicated few would even take the time to figure out why Pakistan and other nations have been listed in such a way. Take that fraction and think about who among these few would take this negativity into something positive (ex. use the attention to advocate for change, understanding, or assistance).
Bad press can cause more harm than good with such ignorance surround said nations (i.e. Sudan, Congo, Cote d'Ivoire...) stands in the public view without deliberation. People avoid conflict, they desire their comfort zone, and rarely extend themselves outwards. "Leave Pakistan to deal with itself" and step away when we do need a critical look.
I'll get off my own high horse for today and say what many Mama's have said, "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." If you do desire to learn more about Pakistan, hear the good and bad from a friend - or come see us for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment