Sunday, September 17, 2006

What to do?

Islamabad is a quiet, young town in Pakistan. It is not the cultural capital that Lahore represents nor the commerce capital that Karachi represents. Nonetheless, Islamabad does provide a number of opportunities to enjoy - some of which I visited in the past week.


Friday, September 8th

Nirvana Day Spa & Salon is the first one of it's kind in Islamabad. Nirvana provides a number of services that are displayed in a classy fashion - and seems to be supported by the Marriott Hotel. It is located in G-6 sector in a residential area. The place looks like a house from the outside, but inside is a receptionist to check your appointment and around back is a cafe where I joined some friends for desserts. I didn't pick up a catalog of their spa services but they have a broad range of massages, facials, and more are available to men and women.

Articles:
Welcome to Nirvana!
Eyecandy Reality Check

Tuesday, September 12th

The residences of Islamabad are often transformed into businesses. After visiting a friend hosting a painter's exhibition, I visited another house that had been transformed. A young man starts a business of importing IKEA furniture, then he assembles the furniture, and added his own panache to make Marvello - his own business. The owner, Reza Yusuf Khan, said he had been running the business out of this house for five months and that he counts on word-of-mouth and advertisements in local newspapers for publicity. I was impressed with his style - but I still find it strange to find businesses behind the walls of what appear to be homes. [He doesn't live in this building but rather rents out the top floor to another business.]

Wednesday, September 13th:

I visited the Marriott Hotel for my first professional fashion show. Designer Mohammad Medhi exhibited his work on a dozen tall, wafer-thin Pakistani ladies and four gentlemen. The fashion show and dinner was called Vanity Fair. I'm not a fashion critic and was not too keen on seeing the show - but the spirit of trying something different and venturing out won. I did enjoy the show and was surprised by the liberties that the artist took with dress here in Pakistan, which is normally viewed with a very conservative eye. See the exhibit for yourself through the eye of my camera.

Medhi
Reliving spirit of fashion with Mehdi


Thursday, September 14th:

I finished this week of getting away from school and enjoying Islamabad by seeing the play Dally in the Dark at the Islamabad Club. The Islamabad club has a nice, small theater with a few plays during the year. I welcome their productions which have previously included Baba Bullah Shah, You Only Marry Twice, and Khattak dancing. This play was a comedy whose humor was largely based off reversing the role of light - where all stage lights turned on meant total darkness to the actors and vice versa. The idea was clever, the acting of a few leading teenagers was amazing, and overall it was an enjoyable evening.

Comic relief amidst nerve-shattering political scenario

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting blog