Pakistan has been my home for three years. I will depart this home in less than a month's time and these days I am rummaging through my collections of materials. What should I carry away?What we think about and what we display around us will attract more of the same in the future.
These three years have been full of activities, experiences, people, and places around Asia. These things are stored in memory so they change my perspective and consciousness - but it's more complicated.
Some memories come more frequently to mind when I think of this time, and those will be memories that attract more of it's kind. Pakistan's earthquake in 2005 was relatively calm experience for me. Sure, the ground rolled and the trees swayed under the event for at least half a minute - but I interpreted it as just being dizzy from fasting during Ramadan. However, the service effort of my school and myself has attracted a series of images and experiences that I will forever associate with Pakistan and this earthquake. I won't forget visiting the Margala Towers on that day and one year later. I won't forget the spring to action of my peers and the unity seen across the country. I choose to focus my attention on these efforts for two years and have attracted others to inquire, act, and find results.
Now my thoughts are on the trinkets that will attract memories of Pakistan to me in the future. Theatre bills, home budgets, schematics for building earthquake-safe schools, urdu language books and notes, clipped news articles, school agendas, welcome to Pakistan materials, cards from friends and contacts, wedding invitation, receipts, and much more. What do I choose to take? The choice will surely attract the memories of Pakistan, whether mundane to exotic or personal to generic.
I know the Law of Attraction is pseudoscience. It still brings up the importance of prioritizing our attention (as well as time, effort, and resources which we normally do). I hope Pakistan experiences the attraction of virtues and actions
P.S. The packrat in me says keep it all, and sort it later.
No comments:
Post a Comment