Sunday, July 31, 2005

In Transit

I planned to spend my 25-hour trip composing a blog entry on “preconceptions,” or what people had already told me about Pakistan via emails and postings. However, I did not get the chance to download them from my email account and I did not have my power cord in any case.

I slept on Delta from Atlanta to New York City. I got a little sleep and watched five movies on my Emirates flight from NYC to Dubai (Coach Carter, Elektra, Million Dollar Baby, Sideways, Bride and Prejudice, and part of Ocean’s Twelve). I was exhausted for the Emirates flight from Dubai to Islamabad, but I enjoyed the company of Saad Gul who told me his impressions of the city he grew up in before moving to Winston Salem to pursue law.

Upon arrival, teachers were gathered and whisked away to their living accommodations. I settled into my duplex around 5am on Sunday (GMT +5) after leaving 3:40pm on Saturday (GMT –5).

[Side note: Not that I know anything about Indian movies, but I think Bride and Prejudice is a great introduction to the genre. The dancing, romance, and other musical aspects of Indian movies seemed much more enjoyable in this movie. Maybe it’s the lack of subtitles and use of Caucasian characters, but it made for a most palatable experience.]

No comments: