I recently met someone in Islamabad who had studied Chinese, but did not realize that Pakistan bordered China. In fact, the relatively well known Karakorum highway runs from just above Islamabad (i.e. Havelian, Pakistan) to Kashgar, China.However, there are two reasons I cannot quip at another's lack of geographical knowledge (beyond the fact that China is friggin' huge). First, 48 hours before accepting a job to work in Pakistan I would have had a tough time finding it on a map. Second, through some recent research on Balochistan, I just discovered that Pakistan borders Iran. Who knew?
Now, contrary to popular opinion, Pakistan is not part of the Middle East - unless you follow the G8's funky (political) classification of the Greater Middle East, rather than tradition (based on culture). Nope, Pakistan is firmly located on the Indian subcontinent and obtains the (geopolitical) classification of South Asia, which is where all the schools in the aforementioned SAISA region lie.
No comments:
Post a Comment